Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Allouche Y, Warleta F, Campos M et al. Antioxidant, antiproliferative, and pro-apoptotic capacities of pentacyclic triterpenes found in the skin of olives on MCF-7 human breast cancer cells and their effects on DNA damage. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jan 12;59(1):121-30. Epub 2010 Dec 10. 2011.
- Arroyo-Lopez FN, Querol A, Bautista-Gallego J et al. Role of yeasts in table olive production. Int J Food Microbiol. 2008 Dec 10;128(2):189-96. Epub 2008 Sep 5. Review. 2008.
- Ben Othman N, Roblain D, Thonart P et al. Tunisian table olive phenolic compounds and their antioxidant capacity. J Food Sci. 2008 May;73(4):C235-40. 2008.
- Casado FJ and Montano A. Influence of processing conditions on acrylamide content in black ripe olives. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Mar 26;56(6):2021-7. Epub 2008 Feb 27. 2008.
- Casadoa FJ, Sancheza AH and Montano A. Reduction of acrylamide content of ripe olives. Food Chemistry 2010 Mar 119(1): 161-166. 2010.
- Chandak R, Devdhe S and Changediya V. Evaluation of anti-histaminic activity ofaqueous extract of ripe olives of olea-europea. Journal: Journal of Pharmacy Research Year: 2009 Vol: 2 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 416-420. 2009.
- Collin S, Nizet S, Muls S et al. Characterization of odor-active compounds in extracts obtained by simultaneous extraction/distillation from moroccan black olives. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 May 14;56(9):3273-8. 2008.
- Conde C, Delrot S and Geros H. Physiological, biochemical and molecular changes occurring during olive development and ripening. J Plant Physiol. 2008 Oct 9;165(15):1545-62. J Plant Physiol. 2008 Oct 9;165(15):1545-62. Epub 2008 Jun 20. Review. 2008.
- Cortes-Delgado A, Garrido-Fernandez A and Lopez-Lopez A. Chemometric Classification of the Fat Residues from the Conditioning Operations of Table Olive Processing, Based on their Minor Components. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jul 13. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Daccache A, Lion C, Sibille N et al. Oleuropein and derivatives from olives as Tau aggregation inhibitors. Neurochem Int. 2011 May;58(6):700-7. Epub 2011 Feb 17. 2011.
- Garcia A, Romero C, Medina E et al. . Debittering of olives by polyphenol oxidation. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Dec 24;56(24):11862-7. 2008.
- Guardia-Rubio M, Ayora-Canada MJ and Ruiz-Medina A. Effect of washing on pesticide residues in olives. J Food Sci. 2007 Mar;72(2):C139-43. 2007.
- Hajimahmoodi M, Sadeghi N, Jannat B et al. Antioxidant Activity, Reducing Power and Total Phenolic Content of Iranian Olive Cultivar. Journal: Journal of Biological Sciences Year: 2008 Vol: 8 Issue: 4 Pages/record No.: 779-783. 2008.
- Juan ME, Wenzel U, Daniel H et al. Erythrodiol, a natural triterpenoid from olives, has antiproliferative and apoptotic activity in HT-29 human adenocarcinoma cells. Mol Nutr Food Res. 2008 May;52(5):595-9. 2008.
- Kountouri AM, Kaliora AC, Koumbi L et al. In-vitro gastric cancer prevention by a polyphenol-rich extract from olives through induction of apoptosis. Eur J Cancer Prev. 2009 Feb;18(1):33-9. 2009.
- Lopez-Lopez A, Jimenez-Araujo A, Garcia-Garcia P et al. Multivariate analysis for the evaluation of fiber, sugars, and organic acids in commercial presentations of table olives. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Dec 26;55(26):10803-11. Epub 2007 Dec 1. 2007.
- Lopez-Lopez A, Lopez R, Madrid F et al. Heavy metals and mineral elements not included on the nutritional labels in table olives. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Oct 22;56(20):9475-83. Epub 2008 Sep 19. 2008.
- Lopez-Lopez A, Montano A, Cortes-Delgado A et al. Survey of vitamin B(6) content in commercial presentations of table olives. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2008 Jun;63(2):87-91. Epub 2008 May 22. 2008.
- Lopez-Lopez A, Rodriguez-Gomez F, Cortes-Delgado A et al. Effect of the Previous Storage of Ripe Olives on the Oil Composition of Fruits. JAOCS, Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society. Champaign: Jun 2010. Vol. 87, Iss. 6; p. 705-714. 2010.
- Malheiro R, Sousa A, Casal S et al. Cultivar effect on the phenolic composition and antioxidant potential of stoned table olives. Food Chem Toxicol. 2011 Feb;49(2):450-7. Epub 2010 Nov 23. 2011.
- Muzzalupo I, Stefanizzi F, Perri E et al. Transcript levels of CHL P gene, antioxidants and chlorophylls contents in olive (Olea europaea L.) pericarps: a comparative study on eleven olive cultivars harvested in two ripening stages. Plant Foods Hum Nutr. 2011 Mar;66(1):1-10. 2011.
- Omar SH. Oleuropein in Olive and its Pharmacological Effects. Sci Pharm. 2010 June 30; 78(2): 133-154. doi:10.3797/scipharm.0912-18. 2010.
- Owen RW, Haubner R, Mier W et al. Isolation, structure elucidation and antioxidant potential of the major phenolic and flavonoid compounds in brined olive drupes. Food Chem Toxicol 2003 May; 41(5):703-17. 2003.
- Park S, Choi Y, Um SJ et al. Oleuropein attenuates hepatic steatosis induced by high-fat diet in mice. J Hepatol. 2011 May;54(5):984-93. Epub 2010 Oct 31. 2011.
- Raederstorff D. Antioxidant activity of olive polyphenols in humans: a review. Int J Vitam Nutr Res. 2009 May;79(3):152-65. Review. 2009.
- Romeo FV, Piscopo A and Poiana M. Effect of acidification and salt concentration on two black brined olives from Sicily (cv moresca and giarraffa). Journal: Grasas y Aceites Year: 2010 Vol: 61 Issue: 3 Pages/record No.: 251-260. 2010.
- Russo C, Cappelletti GM and Martino Nicoletti G. Life Cycle Assessment (LCA) used to compare two different methods of ripe table olive processing. Journal: Grasas y Aceites Year: 2010 Vol: 61 Issue: 2 Pages/record No.: 136-142. 2010.
- Servili M, Minnocci A, Veneziani G et al. Compositional and tissue modifications induced by the natural fermentation process in table olives. J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Aug 13;56(15):6389-96. Epub 2008 Jul 16. 2008.
- Visioli F, Wolfram R, Richard D et al. Olive phenolics increase glutathione levels in healthy volunteers. J Agric Food Chem. 2009 Mar 11;57(5):1793-6. 2009.
- Zhu L, Liu Z, Feng Z et al. Hydroxytyrosol protects against oxidative damage by simultaneous activation of mitochondrial biogenesis and phase II detoxifying enzyme systems in retinal pigment epithelial cells. J Nutr Biochem. 2010 Nov;21(11):1089-98. Epub 2010 Feb 9. 2010.