Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Squash, summer references
- Antonious GF, Snyder JC, and Dennis SO. Heavy metals in summer squash fruits grown in soil amended with municipal sewage sludge. J Environ Sci Health B. 2010 Feb;45(2):167-73. 2010.
- Blanco-Diaz MT, Del Rio-Celestino M, Martinez-Valdivieso D, et al. Use of visible and near-infrared spectroscopy for predicting antioxidant compounds in summer squash (Cucurbita pepo ssp pepo). Food Chem. 2014 Dec 1;164:301-8.
- Blanco-Diaz MR, Font R, Martinez-Valdivieso D, et al. Diversity of natural pigments and phytochemical compounds from exocarp and mesocarp of 27 Cucurbita pepo accessions. Scientia Horticulturae, Volume 197, 14 December 2015, pages 357-365.
- Damiano R. Cai T, Fornara P, Franzese CA, et al. The role of Cucurbita pepo in the management of patients affected by lower urinary tract symptoms due to benign prostatic hyperplasia: A narrative review. Arch Ital Urol Androl. 2016 Jul 4;88(2):136-43.
- Danesi F and Bordoni A. Effect of home freezing and Italian style of cooking on antioxidant activity of edible vegetables. J Food Sci. 2008 Aug;73(6):H109-12. 2008.
- Deng GF, Lin X, Xu XR, et al. Antioxidant capacities and total phenolic contents of 56 vegetables. Journal of Functional Foods, Volume 5, Issue 1, January 2013, pages 260-266.
- Hamissou M, Smith AC, Carter E Jr., et al. Antioxidative properties of bitter gourd (Momordica charantia) and zucchini (Cucurbita pepo). Emirates Journal of Food and Agriculture; Al-Ain25.9 (Sep 2013): 641-647.
- Jacobo-Valenzuela N, Marostica-Junior MT, Zazueta-Morales JDJ, et al. Physicochemical, technological properties, and health-benefits of Cucurbita moschata Duchense vs. Cehualca: A Review. Food Research International, Volume 44, Issue 9, November 2011, pages 2587-2593.
- Lee HS, Cho YH, Park J, et al. Dietary Intake of Phytonutrients in Relation to Fruit and Vegetable Consumption in Korea. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, Volume 113, Issue 9, September 2013, pages 1194-1199.
- Mady EA, Helaly AA, Abu El-Hamd AN, et al. Genetic diversity assessment of summer squash landraces using molecular markers. Mol Biol Rep. 2013 Jul;40(7):4269-74.
- Martinez-Valdivieso D, Font R, Gomez P, et al. Determining the mineral composition in Cucurbita pepo fruit using near infrared reflectance spectroscopy. J Sci Food Agric. 2014 Dec;94(15):3171-80.
- Martinez-Valdivieso D, Gomez P, Font R, et al. Physical and chemical characterization in fruit from 22 summer squash (Cucurbita pepo L.) cultivars. LWT - Food Science and Technology, Volume 64, Issue 2, December 2015, pages 1225-1233.
- Miglio C, Chiavaro E, Visconti A, et al. Effects of different cooking methods on nutritional and physicochemical characteristics of selected vegetables. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry, 2008, 56, 1, pages 139-147.
- Priyadarshani AM and Chandrika UG. Content and in-vitro accessibility of pro-vitamin A carotenoids from Sri Lankan cooked non-leafy vegetables and their estimated contribution to vitamin A requirement. Int J Food Sci Nutr. 2007 Dec;58(8):659-667. 2007.
- Ramirez-Anaya Jdel P, Samaniego-Sanchez C, Castaneda-Saucedo MC, et al. Phenols and the antioxidant capacity of Mediterranean vegetables prepared with extra virgin olive oil using different domestic cooking techniques. Food Chem. 2015 Dec 1;188:430-8.