Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Bell peppers references
- Agricultural Marketing Resource Center (AgMRC). Bell and Chili Peppers Profile. (2011). Iowa State University, Ames, IO. Available online at: http://www.agmrc.org. 2011.
- Alpay K,. Ertas M, Orhan EK et al. Diet restriction in migraine, based on IgG against foods: A clinical double-blind, randomised, cross-over trial. Cephalalgia. 2010 July; 30(7): 829—837. 2010.
- Ambrosini GL, de Klerk NH, Fritschi L et al. Fruit, vegetable, vitamin A intakes, and prostate cancer risk. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2008;11(1):61-6. 2008.
- Chassy AW, Bui L, Renaud EN et al. Three-year comparison of the content of antioxidant microconstituents and several quality characteristics in organic and conventionally managed tomatoes and bell peppers. J Agric Food Chem. 2006 Oct 18;54(21):8244-52. 2006.
- Cooper AJL, Krasnikov BF, Niatsetskaya ZV et al. Cysteine S-conjugate β-lyases: Important roles in the metabolism of naturally occurring sulfur and selenium-containing compounds, xenobiotics and anticancer agents. Amino Acids. 2011 June; 41(1): 7—27. 2011.
- Core J. Grower's Choice: Organic and Conventional Vegetable Production Explored. Agricultural Research. Washington: Apr 2006. Vol. 54, Iss. 4; p. 20-21. 2006.
- Devore EE, Grodstein F, van Rooij FJA et al. Dietary antioxidants and long-term risk of dementia. Arch Neurol. 2010 July; 67(7): 819—825. 2010.
- Durucasu I and Tokusoglu O. Effects of Grilling on Luteolin (3`,4`,5,7-tetrahydroxyflavone) Content in Sweet Green Bell Pepper (Capsicum annuum). Pakistan Journal of Biological Sciences Year: 2007 Vol: 10 Issue: 19 Pages/record No.: 3410-3414. 2007.
- Garcia-Closas R, Berenguer A, Sanchez MJ et al. Dietary sources of vitamin C, vitamin E and specific carotenoids in Spain. The British Journal of Nutrition. Cambridge: Jun 2004. Vol. 91, Iss. 6; p. 1005-1011. 2004.
- Kollmannsberger H, Rodriguez-Burruezo A, Nitz S et al. Volatile and capsaicinoid composition of ají (Capsicum baccatum) and rocoto (Capsicum pubescens), two Andean species of chile peppers. J Sci Food Agric. 2011 Jul;91(9):1598-611. 2011.
- Kumar R, Dwivedi N, Singh RK et al. A review on molecular characterization of pepper for capsaicin and oleoresin. Int J Plant Breeding and Genetics 2011, 5(2): 99-110. 2011.
- Lalitha V, Kiran B and Raveesha. Antifungal and antibacterial potentiality of six essential oils extracted from plant source. International Journal of Engineering Science and Technology Year: 2011 Vol: 3 Issue: 4 Pages/record No.: 3029-3038. 2011.
- Naef R, Velluz A and Jaquier A. New volatile sulfur-containing constituents in a simultaneous distillation-extraction extract of red bell peppers (Capsicum annuum). J Agric Food Chem. 2008 Jan 23;56(2):517-27. 2008.
- O'Sullivan L, Jiwan MA, Daly T, O'Brien NM et al. Bioaccessibility, uptake, and transport of carotenoids from peppers (Capsicum spp.) using the coupled in vitro digestion and human intestinal Caco-2 cell model. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 May 12;58(9):5374-9. 2010.
- Starkenmann C and Niclass Y. New cysteine-S-conjugate precursors of volatile sulfur compounds in bell peppers (Capsicum annuum L. cultivar). J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Apr 13;59(7):3358-65. 2011.
- Zoran I, Avital BY, Yaccov P et al. Total antioxidant activity (TAA) of bell pepper during prolonged storage on low temperature. Journal of Agricultural Sciences Year: 2008 Vol: 53 Issue: 1 Pages/record No.: 3-12. 2008.