Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
- Bureau S, Renard CMGC, Reich M, et al. Change in anthocyanin concentrations in red apricot fruits during ripening. Food Sci Technol 2009;42:372-7.
- Cho E, Seddon JM, Rosner B, Willett WC, Hankinson SE. Prospective study of intake of fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and carotenoids and risk of age-related maculopathy. Arch Ophthalmol. 2004 Jun;122(6):883-92. 2004. PMID:15197064.
- Craig W. Phytochemicals: guardians of our health. J Am Diet Assoc. 1997;97(Suppl 2) S199-S204. 1997.
- Doganay S, Duz C, Firat PG, et al. The effect of apricots on the experimental cataract model formed by sodium selenite. Food Chem Toxicol 2013;55:371-7.
- Dorai T, Cao YC, Dorai B, et al. Therapeutic potential of curcumin in human prostate cancer. III. Curcumin inhibits proliferation, induces apoptosis, and inhibits angiogenesis of LNCaP prostate cancer cells in vivo. Prostate 2001 Jun 1;47(4):293-303. 2001. PMID:16280.
- Dragovic-Uzelac V, Pospisil J, Levaj B, et al. The study of phenolic profiles of raw apricots and apples and their purees by HPLC for the evaluation of apricot nectars and jams authenticity. Food Chem 2005;91:373-83.
- Ensminger AH, Esminger M. K. J. e. al. Food for Health: A Nutrition Encyclopedia. Clovis, California: Pegus Press; 1986. 1986. PMID:15210.
- Erdogan-Orhan I, Kartal M. Insights into research on phytochemistry and biological activities of Prunus armeniaca L. (apricot). Food Res Int 2011;44:1238-43.
- Hankinson SE, Stampfer MJ, Seddon JM, et al. Nutrient intake and cataract extraction in women: a prospective study. BMJ 1992;305(6849):335-9. 1992.
- Jacques PF, Chylack LT. Epidemiologic evidence of a role for the antioxidant vitamins and carotenoids in cataract prevention. Am J Clin Nutr 1991;53:352S-5S. 1991.
- Jian L, Lee AH, Binns CW. Tea and lycopene protect against prostate cancer. Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2007;16 Suppl 1:453-7. 2007. PMID:17392149.
- Kohlmeyer L, Kark JD, Gomez-Gracia E, et al. Lycopene and myocardial infarction risk in the EUROMIC study. Am J Epidemiol 1997;146:618-26. 1997.
- Koushan K, Rusovici R, Li W, et al. The role of lutein in eye-related disease. Nutrients 2013;22:1823-39.
- Na JR, Oh KN, Park SU, et al. The laxative effects of Maesil (Prunus mume Siebold & Zucc.) on constipation induced by a low-fibre diet in a rat model. Int J Food Sci Nutr 2013;64:333-45.
- Nadtochiy SM, Redman EK. Mediterranean diet and cardioprotection: the role of nitrite, polyunsaturated fatty acids, and polyphenols. Nutrition 2011;27:733-44.
- Olszewska M, Glowacki R, Wolbis M, Bald E. Quantitative determination of flavonoids in the flowers and leaves of Prunus spinosa L. Acta Pol Pharm 2001 May-2001 Jun 30;58(3):199-203. 2001. PMID:16270.
- Papazian R. Sulfites: Safe for most, dangerous for some. US Food and Drug Administration. FDA Consumer. Dec 1996. 1996.
- Parlakpinar H, Olmez E, Acet A, et al. Beneficial effects of apricot-feeding on myocardial ischemia-reperfusion injury in rats. Food Chem Toxicol 2009;47:802-8.
- Risasanen, T, Voutilainen S, Nyyssonen K et al. Low plasma lycopene concentration is associated with increased intima-media thickness of the carotid artery wall. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 2000 Dec;20(12):2677-81. 2000.
- Shen CL, Smith BJ, Lo DF, et al. Dietary polyphenols and mechanisms of osteoarthritis. J Nutr Biochem 2012;23:1367-77.
- Skinner M, Hunter D. Bioactives in Fruit: Health Benefits and Functional Foods. Hoboken, NJ:Wiley and Sons; 2013.
- Wills RB, Scriven FM, Greenfield H. Nutrient composition of stone fruit (Prunus spp.) cultivars: apricot, cherry, nectarine, peach and plum. J Sci Food Agric 1983 Dec;34(12):1383-9. 1983. PMID:16280.
- Yilmaz I, Karaman A, Vardi N, et al. Effects of organic apricot on liver regeneration after partial hepatectomy in rats. Transplant P 2013;45:2455-60.