Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Olive oil, extra virgin references
- Barbieri S, Bendini A, Valli E, et al. Do consumers recognize the positive sensorial attributes of extra virgin olive oils related with their composition? A case study on conventional and organic products. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 44, December 2015, pages 186-195.
- Bastida S and Sanchez-Muniz FJ. Chapter 21 - Frying: A Cultural Way of Cooking in the Mediterranean Diet. The Mediterranean Diet, 2015, pages 217-234.
- Bermudez B, Lopez S, Ortega A et al. Oleic Acid in olive oil: from a metabolic framework toward a clinical perspective. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):831-43. 2011.
- Berr C, Portet F, Carriere I et al. Olive Oil and Cognition: Results from the Three-City Study. Dement Geriatr Cogn Disord. 2009 October; 28(4): 357-364. Published online 2009 October 30. doi: 10.1159/000253483. 2009.
- Bondia-Pons I, Schroder H, Covas MI et al. Moderate consumption of olive oil by healthy European men reduces systolic blood pressure in non-Mediterranean participants. J Nutr. 2007 Jan;137(1):84-87. 2007. PMID:17182805. 2007.
- Brinkman MT, Buntinx F, Kellen E et al. Consumption of animal products, olive oil and dietary fat and results from the Belgian case-control study on bladder cancer risk. Eur J Cancer. 2011 Feb;47(3):436-42. Epub 2010 Oct 12. 2010.
- Bullo M, Lamuela-Raventos R and Salas-Salvado J. Mediterranean Diet and Oxidation: Nuts and Olive Oil as Important Sources of Fat and Antioxidants. Curr Top Med Chem. 2011 Apr 21. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Carnevale R, Loffredo L. Del Ben M, et al. Extra virgin olive oil improves post-prandial glycemic and lipid profile in patients with impaired fasting glucose. Clinical Nutrition, Volume 36, Issue 3, June 2017, pages 782-787.
- Casal S, Malheiro R, Sendas A et al. Olive oil stability under deep-frying conditions. Food Chem Toxicol. 2010 Oct;48(10):2972-9. Epub 2010 Aug 3. 2010.
- Castaner O, Fito M, Lopez-Sabater MC et al. The effect of olive oil polyphenols on antibodies against oxidized LDL. A randomized clinical trial. Clin Nutr. 2011 Mar 2. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Cicerale S, Conlan XA, Barnett NW, et al. Storage of extra virgin olive oil and its effect on the biological activity and concentration of oleocanthal. Food Research International, Volume 50, Issue 2, March 2013, pages 597-602.
- Cicerale S, Lucas L and Keast R. Biological Activities of Phenolic Compounds Present in Virgin Olive Oil. Int J Mol Sci. 2010; 11(2): 458-479. Published online 2010 February 2. doi: 10.3390/ijms11020458. 2010.
- Corona G, Spencer JPE and Dessi MA. Extra virgin olive oil phenolics: absorption, metabolism, and biological activities in the GI tract. Toxicology and Industrial Health, May 2009; 25: 285 - 293. 2009.
- D'Imperio M, Gobbino M, Picanza A et al. Influence of Harvest Method and Period on Olive Oil Composition: an NMR and Statistical Study. J Agric Food Chem. 2010 Oct 5. [Epub ahead of print]. 2010.
- Daccache A, Lion C, Sibille N et al. Oleuropein and derivatives from olives as Tau aggregation inhibitors. Neurochem Int. 2011 May;58(6):700-7. Epub 2011 Feb 17. 2011.
- Dairi T, Galeano-Diaz MI, Acedo-Valenzuela MP, et al. Monitoring oxidative stability and phenolic compounds composition of myrtle-enriched extra virgin olive during heating treatment by flame, oven and microwave using reversed phase dispersive liquid—liquid microextraction (RP-DLLME)-HPLC-DAD-FLD method. Industrial Crops and Products, Volume 65, March 2015, pages 303-314.
- D'Amore S, Vacca M, Cariello M, et al. Genes and miRNA expression signatures in peripheral blood mononuclear cells in healthy subjects and patients with metabolic syndrome after acute intake of extra virgin olive oil. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA) - Molecular and Cell Biology of Lipids, Volume 1861, Issue 11, November 2016, pages 1671-1680.
- Damasceno NR, Perez-Heras A, Serra M et al. Crossover study of diets enriched with virgin olive oil, walnuts or almonds. Effects on lipids and other cardiovascular risk markers. Nutr Metab Cardiovasc Dis. 2011 Mar 21. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- de la Lastra Romero CA and GonzÃ'Â´lez G. An up-date of olive oil and bioactive constituents in health: molecular mechanisms and clinical implications. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):752-3. 2011.
- de Roos B, Zhang X, Rodriguez Gutierrez G et al. Anti-platelet effects of olive oil extract: in vitro functional and proteomic studies. Eur J Nutr. 2011 Jan 1. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Delgado-Lista J, Garcia-Rios A, Perez-Martinez P et al. Olive oil and haemostasis: platelet function, thrombogenesis and fibrinolysis. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):778-85. 2011.
- Ebaid GM, Seiva FR, Rocha KK et al. Effects of olive oil and its minor phenolic constituents on obesity-induced cardiac metabolic changes. Nutr J. 2010 Oct 19;9:46. 2010.
- Echevarria B, Encarnacion G, Manzanos NJ, et al. The influence of frying technique, cooking oil and fish species on the changes occurring in fish lipids and oil during shallow-frying, studied by 1H NMR. Food Research International, Volume 84, June 2016, pages 150-159.
- Eilertsen KE, Maehre HK, Cludts K et al. Dietary enrichment of apolipoprotein E-deficient mice with extra virgin olive oil in combination with seal oil inhibits atherogenesis. Lipids Health Dis. 2011 Mar 3;10:41. 2011.
- Elnagar AY, Sylvester PW, and El Sayed KA. (-)-Oleocanthal as a c-Met Inhibitor for the Control of Metastatic Breast and Prostate Cancers. Planta Med. 2011 Feb 15. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Escrich E, Solanas M, Moral R et al. Modulatory effects and molecular mechanisms of olive oil and other dietary lipids in breast cancer. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):813-30. 2011.
- Fortes C, Garcia-Vilas JA, Quesada AR, et al. Evaluation of the anti-angiogenic potential of hydroxytyrosol and tyrosol, two bio-active phenolic compounds of extra virgin olive oil, in endothelial cell cultures. Food Chemistry, Volume 134, Issue 1, 1 September 2012, pages 134-140.
- Garcia-Gavilan JF, Bullo M, Canudas S, et al. Extra virgin olive oil consumption reduces the risk of osteoporotic fractures in the PREDIMED trial. Clinical Nutrition, In Press, Corrected Proof, Available online 13 January 2017.
- Hidalgo M, Prieto I, Abriouel H, et al. Effect of virgin and refined olive oil consumption on gut microbiota. Comparison to butter. Food Research International, Volume 64, October 2014, pages 553-559.
- Impellizzeri D, Esposito E, Mazzon E et al. The effects of oleuropein aglycone, an olive oil compound, in a mouse model of carrageenan-induced pleurisy. Clin Nutr. 2011 Mar 14. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Kontogianni MD, Vlassopoulos A, Gatzieva A, et al. Flaxseed oil does not affect inflammatory markers and lipid profile compared to olive oil, in young, healthy, normal weight adults. Metabolism, Volume 62, Issue 5, May 2013, pages 686-693.
- Kontogianni MD, Panagiotakos DB, Chrysohoou C, Pitsavos C, Zampelas A, Stefanadis C. The impact of olive oil consumption pattern on the risk of acute coronary syndromes: The CARDIO2000 case-control study. Clin Cardiol. 2007 Mar;30(3):125-9. 2007. PMID:17385704.
- Li Q, Li T, Liu C, et al. Potential physicochemical basis of Mediterranean diet effect: Ability of emulsified olive oil to increase carotenoid bioaccessibility in raw and cooked tomatoes. Food Research International, Volume 89, Part 1, November 2016, pages 320-329.
- Lucas L, Russell A and Keast R. Molecular mechanisms of inflammation. Anti-inflammatory benefits of virgin olive oil and the phenolic compound oleocanthal. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):754-68. 2011.
- Machowetz A, Poulsen HE, Gruendel S et al. Effect of olive oils on biomarkers of oxidative DNA stress in Northern and Southern Europeans. FASEB J. 2007 Jan;21(1):45-52. Epub 2006 Nov 16. 2007. PMID:17110467. 2007.
- Marí-Sanchis A, Beunza JJ, Bes-Rastrollo M et al. [Olive oil consumption and incidence of diabetes mellitus, in the Spanish sun cohort.] . Nutr Hosp. 2011 Feb;26(1):137-143. Spanish. 2011.
- Martinez Nieto L, Hodaifa G and Lozano PeÃ�Â±a JL. Changes in phenolic compounds and Rancimat stability of olive oils from varieties of olives at different stages of ripeness. J Sci Food Agric. 2010 Nov;90(14):2393-8. 2010.
- Mascitelli L and Goldstein MR. Olive oil, iron, and cardiovascular disease prevention. 2011 Apr;68(4):391; author reply 391-2. Epub 2011 Feb 16. No abstract available. 2011.
- Mascitelli L, Pezzetta F and Goldstein MR. Is the beneficial antioxidant effect of olive oil mediated by interaction of its phenolic constituents and iron? . Arch Med Res. 2010 May;41(4):295-6. 2010.
- Menendez JA, Joven J, Aragones G, et al. Xenohormetic and anti-aging activity of secoiridoid polyphenols present in extra virgin olive oil: a new family of gerosuppressant agents. Cell Cycle. 2013 Feb 15;12(4):555-78.
- Mitjavila MT, Fandos M, Salas-Salvado J, et al. The Mediterranean diet improves the systemic lipid and DNA oxidative damage in metabolic syndrome individuals. A randomized, controlled, trial. Clinical Nutrition, Volume 32, Issue 2, April 2013, pages 172-178.
- Mohagheghi F, Bigdeli MR, Rasoulian B et al. Dietary virgin olive oil reduces blood brain barrier permeability, brain edema, and brain injury in rats subjected to ischemia-reperfusion. ScientificWorldJournal. 2010 Jun 29;10:1180-91. 2010.
- Mosher A. Justification for additional data analysis: fruit, vegetables, and olive oil and risk of coronary heart disease in Italian women: the EPICOR Study. Am J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr 13. [Epub ahead of print] . 2011.
- Notarnicola M, Tutino V, Bocale D et al. Effects of olive oil polyphenols on fatty acid synthase gene expression and activity in human colorectal cancer cells. Genes Nutr. 2011 February; 6(1): 63-69. Published online 2010 May 16. doi: 10.1007/s12263-010-0177-7. 2011.
- Oliveras-Ferraros C, Fernandez-Arroyo S, Vazquez-Martin A et al. Crude phenolic extracts from extra virgin olive oil circumvent de novo breast cancer resistance to HER1/HER2-targeting drugs by inducing GADD45-sensed cellular stress, G2/M arrest and hyperacetylation. Int J Oncol. 2011 Jun;38(6):1533-47. doi: 10.3892/ijo.2011.993. Epub 2011 Mar 30. 2011.
- Papageorgiou N, Tousoulis D, Psaltopoulou T et al. Divergent anti-inflammatory effects of different oil acute consumption on healthy individuals. Eur J Clin Nutr. 2011 Apr;65(4):514-9. Epub 2011 Feb 16. 2011.
- Pelucchi C, Bosetti C, Negri E et al. Olive Oil and Cancer Risk: An Update of Epidemiological Findings through 2010. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):805-12. 2011.
- Peyrot des Gachons C, Uchida K, Bryant B et al. Unusual pungency from extra-virgin olive oil is attributable to restricted spatial expression of the receptor of oleocanthal. J Neurosci. 2011 Jan 19;31(3):999-1009. 2011.
- Pinto J, Paiva-Martins F, Corona G et al. Absorption and metabolism of olive oil secoiridoids in the small intestine. Br J Nutr. 2011 Mar 17:1-12. [Epub ahead of print]. 2011.
- Romero C, Medina E, Vargas J, Brenes M, Castro AD. In Vitro Activity of Olive Oil Polyphenols against Helicobacter pylori. J Agric Food Chem. 2007 Feb 7;55(3):680-6. 2007. PMID:17263460.
- Ruano J, Lopez-Miranda J, Ruano J et al. Intake of phenol-rich virgin olive oil improves the postprandial prothrombotic profile in hypercholesterolemic patients. Am J Clin Nutr, Aug 2007; 86: 341 - 346. 2007.
- Ruiz-Canela M and Martinez-Gonzalez MA. Olive oil in the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Maturitas. 2011 Mar;68(3):245-50. Epub 2011 Jan 8. 2011.
- Saleh NK and Saleh HA. Olive Oil effectively mitigates ovariectomy-induced osteoporosis in rats. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2011 Feb 4;11:10. 2011.
- Sanchez-Hernandez L, Castro-Puyana M, Luisa Marina M et al. Determination of betaines in vegetable oils by capillary electrophoresis tandem mass spectrometry - application to the detection of olive oil adulteration with seed oils. Electrophoresis. 2011 Jun;32(11):1394-401. doi: 10.1002/elps.201100005. Epub 2011 Apr 26. 2011.
- Santos CSP, Cruz R, Cunha SC, et al. Effect of cooking on olive oil quality attributes. Food Research International, Volume 54, Issue 2, December 2013, pages 2016-2024.
- Scoditti E, Capurso C, Capurso A, et al. Vascular effects of the Mediterranean diet—Part II: Role of omega-3 fatty acids and olive oil polyphenols. Vascular Pharmacology, Volume 63, Issue 3, December 2014, pages 127-134.
- Urpi-Sarda M, Casas R, Chiva-Blanch G, et al. Virgin olive oil and nuts as key foods of the Mediterranean diet effects on inflammatory biomarkers related to atherosclerosis. Pharmacological Research, Volume 65, Issue 6, June 2012, pages 577-583.
- Venturini D, Simao ANC, Urbano MR, et al. Effects of extra virgin olive oil and fish oil on lipid profile and oxidative stress in patients with metabolic syndrome. Nutrition, Volume 31, Issue 6, June 2015, pages 834-840.
- Vichi S, Romero A, Tous J et al. The Activity of Healthy Olive Microbiota during Virgin Olive Oil Extraction Influences Oil Chemical Composition. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 May 11;59(9):4705-4714. Epub 2011 Apr 20. 2011.
- Visioli F and Bernardini E. Extra Virgin Olive Oil's Polyphenols: Biological Activities. Curr Pharm Des. 2011;17(8):786-804. 2011.
- Zrelli H, Matsuoka M, Kitazaki S et al. Hydroxytyrosol Induces Proliferation and Cytoprotection against Oxidative Injury in Vascular Endothelial Cells: Role of Nrf2 Activation and HO-1 Induction. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 May 11;59(9):4473-82. Epub 2011 Apr 13. 2011.