Each and every month at WHFoods, we rely on hundreds of research studies to keep you up-to-date on scientific information about food, nutrition, and health. (For more information about the role of science in our website content, please see Our Approach to Science Research
). Among the featured sections of our website are 100 food profiles and 31 nutrient profiles. In terms of scientific review, we make these profiles one of our website priorities. In each of these profiles, you will find a dedicated References section that contains an alphabetized list of key scientific references involving that particular food or nutrient. In order to make all of these key food and nutrient research references available to you in a single place, we created this WHFoods Reference Library. You can use the radio buttons below to start with either Foods or Nutrients. Then simply choose the specific food or nutrient of interest, and click on it to obtain an alphabetized list of key research references.
Foods & Spices
Nuts & Seeds
Beans & Legumes
Poultry & Meats
Eggs & Dairy
Herbs & Spices
Yogurt, grass-fed references
- Baharav E, Mor F, Halpern M, Weinberger A. Lactobacillus GG Bacteria Ameliorate Arthritis in Lewis Rats. J Nutr. 2004 Aug;134(8):1964-1969. 2004. PMID:15284384.
- Borrego F, Robertson MJ, Ritz J, Pena J, Solana R. CD69 is a stimulatory receptor for natural killer cell and its cytotoxic effect is blocked by CD94 inhibitory receptor. Immunology. 1999 May;97(1):159-65. 1999. PMID:10447727.
- Cheng S, Lyytikainen A, Kroger H, Lamberg-Allardt C, Alen M, Koistinen A, Wang QJ, Suuriniemi M, Suominen H, Mahonen A, Nicholson PH, Ivaska KK, Korpela R, Ohlsson C, Vaananen KH, Tylavsky F. Effects of calcium, dairy product, and vitamin D supplementation on bone mass accrual and body composition in 10-12-y-old girls: a 2-y randomized trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Nov;82(5):1115-26. 2005. PMID:16280447.
- Ciampa L. Consumer groups seek to ban growth hormone for dairy cows. Linda Ciampa CNN.com. June 15, . 1999.
- Cornish J, Callon KE, Naot D, Palmano KP, Banovic T, Bava U, Watson M, Lin JM, Tong PC, Chen Q, Chan VA, Reid HE, Fazzalari N, Baker HM, Baker EN, Haggarty NW, Grey AB, Reid IR. Lactoferrin is a potent regulator of bone cell activity and increases bone formationin vivo. Endocrinology. 2004 Sep;145(9):4366-74. 2004. PMID:15166119.
- Ensminger AH, Esminger M. K. J. e. al. Food for Health: A Nutrition Encyclopedia. Clovis, California: Pegus Press; 1986. 1986. PMID:15210.
- Fabian E, Elmadfa I. Influence of daily consumption of probiotic and conventional yoghurt on the plasma lipid profile in young healthy women. Ann Nutr Metab. 2006;50(4):387-93. Epub 2006 Jun 30 . 2006. PMID:16816529.
- Fortes C, Forastiere F, Farchi S, et al. Diet and overall survival in a cohort of very elderly people. Epidemiology 2000 Jul;11(4):440-5. 2000.
- Gill HS, Rutherfurd KJ, Cross ML. Enhancement of immunity in the elderly by dietary supplementation with probiotic Bifidobacterium lactis HN019. Am J Clin Nutr 2001 Dec 74;74(6):833-9. 2001.
- Gunther CW, Lyle RM, Legowski PA, James JM, McCabe LD, McCabe GP, Peacock M, Teegarden D. Fat oxidation and its relation to serum parathyroid hormone in young women enrolled in a 1-y dairy calcium intervention. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Dec;82(6):1228-34. 2005. PMID:16332655.
- Heaney RP, Davies KM, Barger-Lux MJ. Calcium and weight: clinical studies. J Am Coll Nutr. 2002 Apr; 21(2): 152S-155S. 2002.
- Hilton E, Isenberg HD, Alperstein P, et al. Ingestion of yogurt containing Lactobacillus acidophilus as prophylaxis for candidal vaginitis. Ann Intern Med 1992 Mar 1;116(5):353-7. 1992.
- Hojo K, Ohshima T, Yashima A, Gomi K, Maeda N. Effects of Yoghurt on the Human Oral Microbiota and Halitosis. Paper presented at the 83rd General Session, International Association for Dental Research, Baltimore, MD, March 10, 2005. 2005.
- Larsson SC, Bergkvist L, Wolk A. High fat dairy food and conjugated linoleic acide intakes in relation to colorectal cancer incidence in the Swedish Mammography Cohort. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Oct;82(4):894-900. 2005. PMID:16210722.
- Meydani SN, Ha WK. Immunologic effects of yogurt. Am J Clin Nutr 2000 Apr;71(4):861-72. 2000.
- Meyer AL, Micksche M, Herbacek I, Elmadfa I. Daily intake of probiotic as well as conventional yogurt has a stimulating effect on cellular immunity in young healthy women. Ann Nutr Metab. 2006;50(3):282-9. Epub 2006 Feb 23. 2006. PMID:16508257.
- Serafeimidou A, Zlatanos S, Kritikos G, et al.Change of fatty acid profile, including conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) content, during refrigerated storage of yogurt made of cow and sheep milk. Journal of Food Composition and Analysis, Volume 31, Issue 1, August 2013, Pages 24-30.
- Skinner JD, Bounds W, Carruth BR, Ziegler P. Longitudinal calcium intake is negatively related to children's body fat indexes. J Am Diet Assoc. 2003 Dec;103(12):1626-31. 2003.
- Villena J, Racedo S, Aguero G, Bru E, Medina M, Alvarez S. Lactobacillus casei Improves Resistance to Pneumococcal Respiratory Infection in Malnourished Mice. J Nutr. 2005 Jun;135(6):1462-9. 2005. PMID:15930453.
- Wang K, Li S, Liu C, Perug D, Su Y, Wu D, Jan C, Lai C, Wang T, Wang W. Effect of ingesting Lactobacillus- and Bifidobacterium-containing yogurt in subjects with colonized Helicobacter pylori. Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Sep;80(3):737-41. 2004. PMID:15321816.
- Wood, Rebecca. The Whole Foods Encyclopedia. New York, NY: Prentice-Hall Press; 1988. 1988. PMID:15220.
- Zemel M, Richards J, Mathis S, Milstead A, Gebhardt L, Silva E. Dairy augmentation of total and central fat loss in obese subjects. Int J Obesity 2005 January;29:391-397. 2005. PMID:15672113.
- Zemel MB, Thompson W, Milstead A, Morris K, Campbell P. Calcium and dairy acceleration of weight and fat loss during energy restriction in obese adults. Obes Res. 2004 Apr;12(4):582-90. 2004.