Pinto Beans with Collard GreensAdd a flavorful twist to your Healthiest Way of Eating by combining collard greens with tomatoes and pinto beans. Canned beans have retained most of their original nutritional value so are a great choice when time is short.
Prep and Cook Time: Prep and cooking time: 30 minutes
- 1 medium-sized onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1-1/2 lbs collard greens
- 3 TBS + 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 15 oz can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 cups pinto beans or 1 15 oz can pinto beans (BPA free), drained 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 TBS olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Chop onion and garlic and let sit for 5-10 minutes to bring out their hidden health benefits.
- After remove stems from colllard greens, rinse and chop the greens. Let sit for 5-10 minutes.
- Heat 3 TBS vegetable broth in large sauté pan. When the broth begins to steam, add onions, and Healthy Sauté for 3 minutes.
- Add garlic and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Add 1/2 cup vegetable broth, tomatoes, and pinto beans to the onions and garlic mixture and bring to a boil. Add collard greens and simmer for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in olive oil and lemon juice. Serve hot.